Call for Abstracts
Important Deadlines and More Information
• Airway Management
• Arts & Humanities
• Cardiac, Thoracic & Vascular
• Confederation of ASEAN Societies of Anaesthesiologists (CASA)
• Critical Care & Trauma
• Education, Simulation & Development
• Global Health
• Obstetric Anaesthesia
• Paediatric Anaesthesia
• Perioperative & Ambulatory Anaesthesia
• Professional Practice & DEI
• Regional Anaesthesia
• Research * Only abstracts directly related to publication or research methodology should be submitted under this track.
• Safety & Quality
• Technology, Pharmacology & Artificial Intelligence
The correct category must be selected to ensure correct scoring.
The content of the abstract must be topic related.
The Scientific Committee may reassign an abstract to another track
There will be two categories of submission.
- Research abstracts: Only original human, animal, laboratory, bench or data research are accepted under this category. Human and animal research must be approved or exempted by the relevant local institutional review boards, or animal or clinical ethics committees. A copy of the approval/exemption letter must be uploaded during the submission process. Clinical trials will need to provide their Trial Registration number.
For this type of abstract, a study is only considered research if it meets the definitions adopted by various national organisations such as the UK Health Research Authority and the US Department of Health and Human Services. A study is research if it plans to develop or contribute to generalisable knowledge.
There are several public web resources that explain this further eg https://www.hra-decisiontools.org.uk/research/docs/DefiningResearchTable_Oct2022.pdf, https://cuhs.harvard.edu/definition-research .
If your study is not research, it may be suitable for submission under the Case Study category.
- If the research involves animals, state the animal species in the title of the abstract.
- The aim of the study section must state the primary outcome variable or data being studied, and the main hypothesis of the study.
- The methods section should start with a description of the study design.
- Actual data must be presented for the primary outcome.
- The statistical methods must be stated, and the results of the statistical analysis provided.
- The conclusion section must include a statement related to the primary outcome or hypothesis.
- Case studies: Descriptions of interesting events and practices that occur in anaesthesia, with some educational value for delegates. These may be unusual medically-challenging clinical case reports or case series, or case studies that are descriptions of innovative quality improvement or other management programmes designed to solve major problems. All abstracts must state the problem, describe how the problem was addressed, state the results or outcome, and provide some concluding remarks about key issues and recommendations.
- For Case Reports. ensure that the patient cannot be identified from the abstract. A copy of the patient consent agreeing to have their case presented must be uploaded during the submission process.
The WCA2024 Scientific Committee will make the final decision on whether an abstract is categorised as a research abstract or case study.
Only abstracts that contain original data can be submitted.
All abstracts submitted must adhere to the Declaration of Helsinki’s ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects and the rules laid down by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors in their Recommendations for conducting, reporting, editing, and publishing scholarly work in medical journals.
Abstracts can only be submitted online via the online abstract submission system. Abstracts sent by post or email will not be accepted. No exceptions will be made.
Abstracts can be submitted if the following applies:
- Abstracts can be submitted if they include data that has either been presented or will be presented at another scientific meeting, but only if the presentation of that data occurred on or after 15 October 2023. This fact must be indicated on the submission form.
- Abstracts having been submitted for publication or to a scientific meeting, but are pending acceptance, can be submitted without restrictions. However, once the abstract has been accepted by WCA2024 it is automatically subject to the WCA2024’s terms and conditions.
Research abstracts should be structured into the following sections:
- A title which clearly indicates the nature of the investigation. If the research involves animals, state the animal species in the title of the abstract.
- Background & Objectives
- Discussion and Conclusion
For submission of Research abstracts, you are required to submit the Institutional Review Board’s approval/waiver letter and the trial registration number.
Case Studies should be structured into the following sections:
- A title which clearly indicates the nature of the investigation.
- Background (What is the unique or significant problem highlighted by this case?)
- Case Description
- Learning Point (What is the take home message from this report?)
For submission of Case Studies, you are required to declare whether you have obtained the patient’s consent for submitting their case study as an abstract.
The acceptable length of the abstract is not more than 500 words. This does not include references.
References can be up to 100 words.
One graph/image can be included.
One table can be included.
Only English is accepted. Please ensure that your abstract does not contain spelling, grammatical or scientific errors, as it will be reproduced exactly as submitted. No proofreading will be done.
All abstracts will be presented as eposters, except for those submitted under Arts & Humanities which may be oral presentations.
- If an abstract is accepted as an E-Poster presentation, the presenting author will be requested to be available for discussion during the corresponding E-Poster viewing session.
- E-Poster stations will be set up close to the exhibition area.
- Further details on how to create your E-Posters will be sent to you after the abstract notification date of 25 January 2024.
A few abstracts will be selected for an additional oral presentation in the best abstract prize competition.
- If an abstract is selected for oral presentation, the presenting author, as specified at submission, will be requested to present it in the assigned session.
- Details will be communicated to the author by 5 January 2024.
- Presenting authors of accepted abstracts will be able to register at the early bird registration fee upon reception of the abstract acceptance notification.
- If the abstract is selected for oral presentation, the authors, represented by the presenting author, will have to sign an agreement to grant WCA2024 the right to record the entire presentation (audio and slide) and subsequently use it for educational purposes.
Abstracts can be saved in “Draft” status to be re-edited and modified until the submission deadline (Monday, 15 January 2024, 23:59 GMT +8).
Abstracts can only be submitted if all required abstract submission fields have been completed. Only abstracts in “Submitted” status will be regarded as successfully submitted and considered for the congress. Once an abstract has been submitted, no changes can be made.
If you would like to make changes to an abstract, please indicate your paper number and email your changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the intent of WCA2024 to provide high quality sessions focused on educational content that is free from commercial influence or bias. Thus, the submitting author of an abstract is requested to declare any potential conflicts of interest for all authors during the abstract(s) submission.
The inclusion of trade names/brand names is not allowed in the abstract. The mentioning of agents/molecules must follow the scientific standard for publications.
A written statement reflecting the reasons for withdrawing your abstract must be sent to the WCA2024 Secretariat not later than 5 February 2024.
For any questions, please contact email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding a particular submission, please include the paper number in your email.
- Abstracts accepted for the congress are subject to the “Transfer of copyright”. With the submission of an abstract the authors agree to the transfer of copyright.
- The Corresponding Author has the right to grant, and does grant, on behalf of all authors an exclusive license on a worldwide basis to WCA2024 to publish the abstract (if accepted) in any media and to exploit all subsidiary rights.
- Should the abstract be selected for oral presentation, the authors, represented by the presenting author will have to sign an agreement to grant WCA2024/WFSA the right to record the presentation (audio and slide) and subsequently use it for educational purposes.
- Accepted abstracts will be published in an e-supplement to Anesthesia & Analgesia. Information on accepted abstracts will also be available online about one month prior to the congress.
- The submission of an abstract constitutes a formal commitment by the presenting author to present the abstract (if accepted) orally or as a poster in the session and the time assigned by the WCA2024 Scientific Committee. We therefore recommend that submitters of abstracts register for the congress simultaneously with the abstract submission.
- Scheduling of E-Poster sessions and abstract presentations is at the discretion of the Scientific Program Committee. Abstracts will be organized into sessions according to the track the abstract is finally categorised into.
- WCA2024 does not provide any individual feedback on the reasons for acceptance/ rejection of an abstract.
- If the presenter does not register for the WCA by 29 December for those submitting in the first round, or by 5 February in the late-breaking round, the abstract will be withdrawn from the WCA and not published in the Anesthesia & Analgesia e-supplement.
We have prizes for 2 categories, Clinical Abstracts and Basic Science Abstracts. The best papers submitted to WCA2024 will be selected by the WCA2024 Scientific Committee.
The nominees will compete during the Best Abstract Prize Competition (BAPC), giving a 5-minute PowerPoint presentation followed by a 3-minute discussion of the abstract.
Cash prizes and complimentary registration for WCA2026 will be awarded to the best three abstracts presented at WCA2024 for both categories. Winners will be announced at the end of the competition in Singapore.
Clinical Abstracts: 1st 1,000 USD, 2nd 750 USD, 3rd 500 USD
Basic Science Abstracts: 1st 1,000 USD, 2nd 750 USD, 3rd 500 USD
WCA2024 will be held in person in Singapore. Click here to find out more about Singapore!
The Suntec Singapore Convention and Exhibition Centre, often known simply as Suntec, located in the Central Area of Singapore.